Having a pet
We are a pet friendly organisation but there are conditions to having pets at your home. If you have a pet or would like a pet, please let us know.
Te Āhuru Mowai has a no pet’s policy when establishing a new tenancy. However, we recognise the potential benefits of whānau owning pets, so permission for a pet may be granted prior to the pet being brought to the property. If whānau have multiple pets, written permission must be sought for each pet.
What we as a landlord consider as pets:
- Rabbits, Guinea Pigs
- Fish, turtles etc
If permission to keep pets or a dog is granted, all permission is conditional on the whānau making sure that:
- The property is suitable for keeping a pet
- The pet or dog is not a health or safety risk to staff, contractors or others
- The dog is not specified dangerous or menacing under the Dog Control Act 1996
- The pet is not likely to, or does not, attack any person or other pet
- The pet is not like to, cause a nuisance to your neighbours
- The pet is not like to, damage the premise
- You will comply with all legal responsibilities attached to pet ownership including any applicable local council bylaws
If you are concerns about other peoples dogs please contact: Porirua City Council Dog
Control on 04 237 5089
Conditions to having a pet
Like all New Zealanders you will need to comply with the laws that apply. There are council by-laws around keeping pets.
If you live in the Porirua area you can find more information by visiting the Porirua City Council website: www.poriruacity.govt.nz.
If you live in the Tawa / Linden area you can find more information by visiting the Wellington City Council website: www.wellington.govt.nz.